Friday 24 July 2009

Taiping Lake Garden - Place assignment

I never thought of ending up having an affair in Taiping. The calmness that she brings can really make me let my guard down and accept her, Taman Tasik Taiping, an affair that I will never forget.

The morning shine that appeared at seven a.m. in Taiping is the best I have ever seen, the sun shines gently towards me as I traveled to Taman Tasik Taiping, a landmark that usually referred as Taiping Lake Garden.

You can feel the liveliness even before you enter the lake garden, even from afar I saw the local community participating in activity such as Tai Chi practice while I am riding my bike passed the hundred years old trees.

These trees have been here since hundreds of years ago even before Taiping Lake Garden begins to operate in 1880.

Being one of many first in Malaysia, Taiping Lake Garden is the first artificial park in Malaysia as it was originally a tin mine in the 18th century.

Now, with Zoo Taiping and nearby golf course built to compliment it, Taiping Lake Garden has become one of the most sorted holiday destination for the urban that wants to rejuvenate their souls.

I still remember the first time I am here, seeing people from different skin colors and attires spent their time jogging and relaxing, and not to mention feeding the fishes while admiring the nature.

Five minutes later, my friend Cheong has arrived and we walk towards the lake garden.

Even now as I stepped onto the green turf and into the gazebo – a hut for shelter, I still see the same scenery as it was 10 years ago, with the only difference is the drastic increase in numbers of visitors here.

“Yes, the surroundings still the same even after so many years, guess something just do not change.” said Cheong, a close friend of mine.

As we began to jog around the crown jewel of Taiping – the lake garden, the fresh air landed on my face had freshen me up with the energy I need to face whatever it is until the end of the day.

“Oh, I have been missing this feeling ever since I started studying in Kuala Lumpur, the air here is so clean compare to Setapak, just by running here makes me feel revitalized.” said Cheong.

While we continue jogged through the park, morning breeze and the scent let loose by the plants captivated us further by making us feel as part of the nature, not to mention the picture-perfect scenery that made up from 64 hectares of exuberant flora and fauna.

“The Taiping Lake Garden has the nicest view and landscape among all the other lake garden in Malaysia, and the fact that I will look at the pictures whenever I miss Taiping Lake Garden shows exactly how beautiful it is.” said Cheong again.

As we jogged passed the gravity-defying drooping branches of the ancient Angsana trees, we spotted an aqua-biking service available in the middle of the park, and this serves as a place for tourists to further explore the natural beauty of the lake garden.

I noticed there is a minor difference in the exterior and interior of the place from how it was 10 years ago, now the house was covered by red and orange as well as some slight renovation at the entrance which made it looks more polish than ever.

With more types of swan model boats available now, surely children will have their hands on one of these boats with either their parents or friends.

Moving away from the aqua-biking house, we went to a deeper part of the lake garden where only few visitors dare to venture in due to its closer-to-nature background.

This part of the garden is isolated and it has become the habitat for some reptiles and birds that made this their home while some made it their hunting ground, and some as their grave.

It is not as horrifying as it sounds especially when most of the animals there will not attack humans, not even the 3 feet Komodo Dragon we encountered that day.

The real life Komodo Dragon moves freely around the park as it is its home, swimming across the lake and eventually crawl back up to the land after a satisfying meal at the lake.

Aside from the 3 feet Komodo Dragon, I remembered encountering a water-snake in the lake garden as I was jogging few months ago, it really makes any visitors feel close to the nature as they spend their time here.

Nature lovers will adore this haven not just because of the snakes and Komodo Dragon, but other unexpected “guess” as well such as north-south hemispheres migratory birds, squirrels, variety species of insects and fishes as well.

“I like to take pictures, especially with Taiping Lake Garden providing so many opportunities for visitors like me to get closer to nature, I will definitely invite my friends to the lake garden and have a memorable time here.” said Cheong.

Once equipped with binoculars or just a simple camera, even normal visitors will have bags of satisfaction just by sightseeing, as the amazing panorama that looks as if it was handcrafted by god gave chances for tourists to create stories for themselves.

Example here is the 100-years-old Angsana trees, the stunning sight of branches from the Angsana trees stretching out to the lake as if the trees want to quench their thirst made it even more mystifying.

“It is something truly magnificent and rare as the branches from the Angsana trees spread out and forms a web of branches, it is definitely a unique sight that you can only see it here in Taiping Lake Garden.” said Eddy, my best friend.

When luck is around, one can even see newlyweds taking their wedding pictures here in Taiping Lake Gardens, the Pagoda Bridge and the Japanese Garden located here added another dimension to this kind of blissful activity.

With the artificial park offering well-preserved garden and lake, photographers will have no problem finding the ideal wedding shot they want as well as giving the newlyweds something to remember by.

“If given a chance, I would love to have my wedding pictures taken here as Taiping is my root, and with good angles, I believe my pictures will turn out great.” said Irin, a hometown friend of mine.

Then, there is this monkey feeding activity offered for those that want to be close to the wild.

Like all the other animals I have mentioned, these monkeys are originally from the Taiping Zoo nearby, they have been released in order to let the visitors to have close contact with them.

These monkeys are no strangers to the tourists as they have been fed from the very first day they set foot out of the zoo, visitors are allow to feed the monkeys with food such as peanuts, fruits and etc.

I can still recall the time when I first fed the monkeys, I was so afraid that they might attack me when I saw the whole group running towards me as I revealed my packet of peanuts.

The worry was for nothing as the monkeys are actually quite tame, I have been approached gently by the monkeys one by one while I am feeding them.

“I like to see animals eating their food, so I am totally delighted when I got the chance to feed the animals few years back, I feel a sense of pleasure doing so.” said Ng.

After an hour of jogging, Cheong decided we should take a rest at the nearby open air gymnasium, this open space is made up from different facilities for the visitors to explore.

One of the facilities here is the roller skating rink, this rink provides a platform for skaters from different levels and ages to have their practice, occasionally, there might even have variety of performances too.

Next, the available space here makes way for the residents of the nearby area have a place to use for variety of trainings, activities such as sword practice and Tai Chi practice are common here.

We are lucky to witness Tai Chi sword practice that day, women in their 40s waving their swords from side to side resembling a garden of orchid dancing to the wind as it blows, it is absolutely an incredible sight to behold.

This kind of training is usually guided by voluntary trainers, friends or even total strangers who want to help others to familiar themselves with this martial art.

When we are resting, we managed to see some mistakes made by a Tai Chi sword learner, her movements were totally out of place but it was quickly corrected by her peers, which results in laughter and a joyful atmosphere.

“Some part of the lake garden offer ideal location to do group activities such as Tai Chi and sword practice, since the air here is fresh and unpolluted, it is definitely a wise choice for the women to do have training here.” said Ng.

Then there is the Reflexology track available at the open gymnasium area, this track was built in accordance with reflexology principle that promotes health by working on reflex areas on the feet when users step on the track.

People that use the Reflexology track will find themselves experiencing holistic therapy that causes pressure to be applied on their feet that indirectly improves health.

Even so, those that are not used to it will find it painful as stones that bulging out from the track might hurt the users, but it was told that regular used of Reflexology track will remove this pain.

Leaving the resting area and further into the lake garden, one can see a pool of lotus in a pond, these lotus are stationed closely to each other forming a sea of pink that mesmerized whoever that sees it.

As huge gust of wind blows, some lose lotus will move around as if it is alive, creating some sort of movements that can only be described as miracle.

Some lotus are stationed around the Zigzag Bridge located in the middle of the pond, the bridge is one of its kind and it was one of the most visited place for dating couples ranging from young to old.

Not just the Zigzag Bridge, just by visiting this place with your love ones is enough to nourish the love between lovers.

“One of the most unforgettable moments I have in the lake garden was during the time me and my boyfriend having a evening stroll under the shady trees, the yellow lights that covered the sky was so striking, it was very romantic.” said Irin.

After nearly three hours of jogging through the untouched beauty of the lake garden, Cheong and I decided to go home.

I feel Taiping Lake Garden is a perfect place to rejuvenate one’s spirit, with mother nature providing such a good location and reason for doing so, I could not stop but wonder how lucky me and the locals are for having such a fascinating place to be available so close to us.

With new hotels and projects been carried out, I can see Taiping Lake Garden continue to flourish as a definite tourist destination that promises so much more.
Finally, I took a seat in my Cheong’s car and admire the beautiful scenery the lake garden got to offer, and closed my eyes before I fall asleep under such a beautiful and enchanted garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment